Karen Linyard: Two Degrees, One Singular Focus

When Karen Linyard began considering college, she had a clear vision for what she wanted. She wanted a school that offered her the flexibility to continue working fulltime. She wanted affordable tuition. And she wanted the kind of education that would broaden her career prospects. She found all three at ECPI University Online and enrolled in the Healthcare Administration program.

While she began learning the fundamentals of her career path, Karen realized she was picking up additional skills that she would use for the rest of her life. “Achieving success in an online program requires commitment, dedication, and self-motivation,” she says. “Having good time management skills are important when enrolled in an online degree program and will help foster successful outcomes when faced with competing responsibilities and tasks.

“I am passionate about learning new things and I like to challenge myself to be uncomfortable. I know that when I am uncomfortable there is opportunity to learn and grow.”

Online MBA Student Karen Linyard

“I have developed communication and leadership skills that have been important in my educational journey and in achieving successful outcomes. Most importantly, I have also developed skills in problem-solving and critical thinking.”

While earning her degree, Karen continued to work as a Licensed Practical Nurse in an ambulatory care setting. Right after completing her program, however, she was offered a position working in an educational role, helping to improve the patient experience and patient outcomes. This position allowed her the opportunity to use her newly-acquired skills to help other team members in the organization with process improvements and improving operational efficiency.

Shortly thereafter, Karen enrolled at ECPI University once again, this time to pursue her MBA online. “About five months before I completed my degree, I was offered a Project Manager position on the team I had been working with since completing my bachelor’s degree,” says Karen. “I have been given opportunities to apply the skills I learned while earning my master’s degree to help identify problems and provide solutions to help reduce waste and inefficiencies to support activities for sustainable process improvements. Working with senior leadership and other key stakeholders, I have coordinated and managed aspects of assigned projects to execute strategic system and department goals and implement standardization within the ambulatory care setting.

“I am inspired by my family and loved ones who continue to support my efforts for continued professional, personal, and spiritual growth. I am passionate about learning new things and I like to challenge myself to be uncomfortable. I know that when I am uncomfortable there is opportunity to learn and grow.”

Be the first to comment on "Karen Linyard: Two Degrees, One Singular Focus"