Mechatronics Graduate gets Help From Advisor to Overcome Family Tragedy

Just a few years ago, Latonya Johnson’s life took a horrible turn with the death of her husband. Left with only a high school diploma and a young son to support, she knew she could not give him the future she hoped for. After considering her options, she determined that only a college degree could improve her prospects.

“I knew this journey was not going to be easy,” says Latonya. “Here I am wondering how I could possibly accomplish this as a full-time employee and mother. Then, I learned about ECPI University Online and their online mechatronics program. Not only could I schedule my studies around my work hours, but there was also an ECPI campus close to my job, so it was comforting to know that I could go to the campus to use the library as needed.”

As graduation approached and it came time to begin looking for a job, Latonya turned to her career service advisor at ECPI University, Rae Sewell. “She was with me every step as I completed my journey and continues to be there with me if I have any questions or concerns,” she says. “Rae has also been there for me during those times that I needed to vent, someone to cry to, and just listen. When I felt like I had no one else to call, I could always call her.”

[Tweet ““Earning my degree at ECPI University granted me financial freedom. I can’t tell you how much this has changed my life.” ~ Latonya Johnson, Online Mechatronics Graduate”]

With Rae’s help, Latonya began preparing for job interviews and soon received an offer. Although it required relocating, she says there was no way she could refuse. Latonya is now a manufacturing engineer for Nordfab Ducting, just outside Greensboro, North Carolina.

“What ECPI University has given me is opportunity for advancement,” says Latonya. “Many may look at it as just a piece of paper, but I look at it as a chance to reach my career goals. Earning my degree at ECPI University granted me financial freedom. I can’t tell you how much this has changed my life.”

“I am so grateful for the friends, classmates, instructors, and other faculty members of ECPI that have allowed me to learn and believe in my potential. Because of this I am now working on my MBA with ECPI University Online.”

Be the first to comment on "Mechatronics Graduate gets Help From Advisor to Overcome Family Tragedy"