Three Degrees, One Focus

Online Grad Uses MBA to Further IT Career

Hollis Duke always envisioned himself working with technology. As young man, he loved gaming and spent many hours on his Apple IIe. After high school, he enrolled at his local community college to study electronics engineering, but dropped out after a year and became a truck driver. Whatever level of motivation he may have been missing during that first attempt at college, that job as a truck driver made up for it, and then some.

“I decided I had to go back to school,” says Hollis. “I was unhappy and not following my passion. When I saw that ECPI University offered an accelerated program, I enrolled as an online student. It was not easy, but when I hit that point again when I wanted to give up, the thought that came back to me was, ‘What is the alternative?’ I hated driving a truck, so I used that going forward to drive my passion. I loved ECPI. I created strong on-going relationships with classmates and instructors. The classes were hands-on, and I always had support from my instructors when needed. 

“I think they see that I have not just the skills, but the passion to succeed. My education has given me confidence in myself and has made me marketable.”

Hollis Duke,
Online CIS/MBA Graduate

Hollis earned his associate degree, then his bachelor’s degree, both in Computer and Information Science. He began work as an IT Technician, then moved up to Network Engineer. Several years later, he came back to ECPI University to earn his MBA. “I love what I do because of the training and education that I received from ECPI, and I am confident in my career. I am now looking to use my MBA to become a senior IT project manager.”

Hollis has come a long way since his days as a truck driver. Back then, he had very few options. His ECPI University education changed that. Now, he gets a steady stream of job offers. “I think they see that I have not just the skills, but the passion to succeed. My education has given me confidence in myself and has made me marketable.”

Be the first to comment on "Three Degrees, One Focus"