Roanoke Campus President on the Tao of Pooh and the Power of Education

Michael Traas

Michael TraasName: Michael Traas, Roanoke Campus President

Education: Master’s in Public Relations from Kent State University; Bachelor’s from Webster University in Pre-Directing.

Started at ECPI University: January 15, 2015

What did you do prior to joining ECPI University? I have been in career education for over 10 years. I started as an evening instructor in Critical Thinking and Communication, served as a Program Director and Director of Education. I have also previously served as Campus President and Director of Operations. Prior to my work in Education I was in corporate event planning, college activities, and theatre.

What is your most rewarding professional experience? Helping students become successful professionals. Education made a huge difference in my life – and in my family’s life – I know the power of it. I experienced my own challenges, and know that each student faces many of their own. Finding solutions, creating a path, and providing a better life and more opportunities for themselves and their families makes the world a better place. It’s my way of giving back, and it is extremely rewarding.

Who was your most influential teacher? There are three: in middle school, Ms. Georgia Scott was a huge influence, teaching me to be myself and helping me discover the joy of learning; in college, Ms. Reta Madsen consistently challenged me to think outside the box and to expand my scope of reference; finally, Susan Gregg, my mentor, was always there to discuss an idea/approach – she valued my input and trusted me with great responsibility – she taught me a great deal, but more importantly, put me in a position to learn from experience.

What book is most important to you? Fiction: Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings got me to love reading, and helped shape many of my ideas about life. Philosophy: Hoff’s The Tao of Pooh – a wonderful read, and so many powerful and complex ideas so simply stated. Non-fiction: The collective work of Jacques Derrida on deconstruction.

If you could completely solve one problem on earth, what would it be? Greed, because I couldn’t think of an instance where it could do anything but harm, and I think it is responsible for many of the ills we face as a society and in the world. Cruelty ran a close second.

What is your favorite meal to prepare? I make a mean crepe – with pears in a delicious sauce. That’s not a meal, exactly, but I get a lot of requests. Beyond that I love grilling a steak – and I have a very good mushroom soup made with champagne and black pepper.

What is your favorite quote? “How you do anything is how you do everything.” Fortune Cookie

Be the first to comment on "Roanoke Campus President on the Tao of Pooh and the Power of Education"