Focus on Faculty

Christine Vogel, Orlando Campus Simulation Coordinator

I received my BSN from Florida State University in 1998. From there, I worked in the Coronary Care Unit and Cardiovascular Surgical ICU for five years and then worked as a circulator and PACU nurse in an outpatient surgery center. I also worked as a diabetes educator and health coach which is where I realized my passion for educating others. I have been educating nursing students for more than a decade, first as a clinical instructor, and now as Simulation Coordinator at ECPI University’s Orlando/Lake Mary Campus.

I have worked at ECPI University for three and a half years, and have personally seen the school’s commitment to students and excellence in academics. When ECPI University offered a Master’s program for Nursing, I knew that I would be in good hands, and I would develop the knowledge and skills necessary to further my career in nursing education.

It was important for me to be in an environment that fulfilled my intrinsic and extrinsic motivations for educational success. I was an organized and competitive student, in that I competed with myself. I aimed to achieve great grades but also needed to know how the content of my courses would help me in the future. I also loved feedback from my instructors when I did well or needed to improve in areas.

Since earning my MSN at ECPI University, I have a better understanding of how to be an effective educator. I have since received my Certified Healthcare Simulation Educator (CHSE) certification, and have been able to offer students and faculty my perspectives on education through simulation and have improved the way I educate others. Seeing the “aha” on my students’ faces inspires me to succeed in helping them to learn the science of nursing, and also embrace the art of it as well.

Advice to Students

Connect with your instructors and peers as much as possible. While it’s convenient to enroll in an online program, it can feel isolating at times if you do not connect with others. We learn so much more when we collaborate. Your instructors have so much to offer, and they are available for you.

Personal

I have a wonderful support system at home. My husband, Mark, and my two beautiful children cheer me on and inspire me daily. Currently, Mark is also an ECPI University student!

Be the first to comment on "Focus on Faculty"