Sewing Teacher Switches Needles and Becomes a Medical Assistant

Richmond/Emerywood Graduate Credits Dedicated Faculty for Helping Her Become a Medical Assistant

Brandy Glasgow remembers the exact moment she decided it was time for a change. The former sewing teacher was fixing some pants for one of her children’s classmates. “While I was ripping out the seam and hiding my frustration, her mother asked me, ‘so what is your real job?’ I have been asked this question many different ways from different people, but on that particular day it really irked me. That was it! No more procrastinating! It was time to get a career, a job that I would be excited about.”

She wanted to become a medical assistant, and after researching nearby colleges and universities, Brandy was impressed with the accelerated program offered at ECPI University. She made contact with the Richmond/Emerywood campus and scheduled a tour. “The next day I was enrolled in school and two days later I was coming in for orientation and to pick up my scrubs,” she says. “Everything happened so fast that it wasn’t until 10 weeks in that it dawned on me that I was officially a college student!”

“It’s not the building, curriculum, or programs that make ECPI so special – although all of that is truly excellent – it’s the people there who dedicate their time to helping us take that next step toward getting a career – that really sets ECPI University apart.”

~ Brandy Glasgow, Medical Assisting Graduate

Having been out of school for eight years, the going was a bit rough at first, but Brandy says the faculty made all the difference. “It’s not the building, curriculum, or programs that make ECPI so special – although all of that is truly excellent – it’s the people there who dedicate their time to helping us take that next step toward getting a career – that really sets ECPI University apart,” she says.

“Dr. Scian’s anatomy and physiology classes were very challenging, but he had a way of conveying the information in a very visual way that made it easier to understand. Many of the memorization techniques I learned in Ms. Dickerson’s Office Procedures classes helped me in all of my other classes, not just the administrative ones.

[Tweet “That was it! No more procrastinating! It was time to get a career, a job that I would be excited about.”]

“Then, there was Mr. Butler, the drill sergeant. This man made me be a better student because he was so tough. My whole goal through his classes was to impress him, which seemed an impossible feat. I studied until 1 and 2 am, reading chapters over and over again, and even reading ahead of lecture so that I could answer his tricky questions. And finally, there was Mr. Barnard. I don’t see him as an instructor, I see him as my mentor.

“These are the people who made my experience at ECPI University so special. I am now a medical assistant at iSpine Physicians and I am grateful to everyone who helped me get to where I am today.”

Be the first to comment on "Sewing Teacher Switches Needles and Becomes a Medical Assistant"