ECPI University Graduating Student will “Walk” Across Stage

Car Accident that First Left Him Paralyzed Opens Door to New Life 

Six years ago, Adam Shelton had a decent job working on a loading dock, a son he adored, and most of all, his health. That changed in an instant when his car flipped eight times. Ejected from the vehicle, he was left with three crushed vertebra, a leg broken in four places, six broken ribs, a fractured sternum, and a collapsed lung.

[Tweet ““He never quit, never let up, and never allowed his circumstances to slow him down.””]

“It forced me down a path I might not have otherwise traveled. I am now bettering myself, and hopefully setting an example for my son. I want him to see that you can do anything you put your mind to.”
~Adam Shelton, Cyber and Network Security Graduate – Richmond/Moorefield Campus

Doctors told Adam that he would likely never walk again. After two surgeries and four months in the hospital, he began rehab, and within a year, was able to take his first few steps with the use of a cane. Two years later, he was able to walk unaided, but Adam would never be the same again. Working on a loading dock was out of the question, so he decided to earn a college degree.

Adam enrolled in the Cyber and Network Security program at ECPI University’s Richmond/Moorefield campus and this summer, he took some very hard-fought steps as he crossed the stage to receive his Bachelor’s degree. “He has been such an inspiration,” says Dr. Kenneth King, Computer and Information Science Program Director at the Richmond/Moorefield campus. “He never quit, never let up, and never allowed his circumstances to slow him down.”

In fact, Adam will be the first to tell you that his accident had a silver lining. “It’s led me to a better place,” he said. “It forced me down a path I might not have otherwise traveled. I am now bettering myself, and hopefully setting an example for my son. I want him to see that you can do anything you put your mind to. It doesn’t matter what people say. It’s mind over matter. This was just the first goal. I’ve got plenty more that I plan to go after.”

Be the first to comment on "ECPI University Graduating Student will “Walk” Across Stage"