Focus on Faculty: Even Hurricane Sandy Could not Keep this Online Educator from his Students

Dr. Harry Yan

Dr. Harry YanLike so many people in the Northeast, Dr. Harry Yan lost power during Hurricane Sandy. It would certainly be understandable if he was unable to connect with his ECPI University online students during that time, but that’s not how Dr. Yan rolls. Each day, he got on his bicycle and drove several miles to a restaurant that had both power and internet so he could stay in contact with his students.

That simple, yet deliberate act is a testament to a work ethic passed along to him by his late father whom without, Dr. Yan would not have made it to where he is today.

“He strongly encouraged me to get out of my comfort zone and leave China to come to America and get an advanced education. He gave me $500, which was a lot of money for our family at the time, and that helped me to survive the first two months in this country. Needless to say, coming here was a challenge but father helped me to become the person I am today.”

To say that Dr. Yan is an accomplished person would be an understatement. He received his undergraduate degree in mathematics from FuDan University in Shanghai, China, and a master’s in Industrial Engineering from Shanghai Jiao Tong University. Upon arriving in the United States, he continued his education and received his M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in Operations Management from The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania.

Now, Dr. Yan seeks to share his knowledge, passion, and his father’s work ethic to his online students.

“I want them to learn how to apply concepts or theories to solve real-world problems, how to conduct research and how to recommend proposals or solutions based upon that research,” he says. “In today’s world, you must have skills in research, writing, and analysis. In fact, many fields now demand these skills.”

Be the first to comment on "Focus on Faculty: Even Hurricane Sandy Could not Keep this Online Educator from his Students"